Posted by SM Maulana
Saturday, 14 June 2008
By NIK KHUSAIRI IBRAHIM, The Star
GEORGE TOWN: A report on alleged land scams in the previous state administration will be submitted to the state executive council in the first week of July.
Chief Minister Lim Guan Eng said they would make public the findings as former deputy Chief Minister Datuk Seri Abdul Rashid Abdullah had failed to give an explanation before the April 28 deadline.
“Deputy Chief Minister I Mohammad Fairus Khairuddin who is leading the investigation will table the findings during the first exco meeting of July,” he told newsmen.
Abdul Rashid had earlier challenged Lim to expose the alleged discrepancies, complete with specific details including lot numbers, locations and names of landowners.
Lim also said the state was mulling over the possibility of re-introducing free shuttle bus services to help ease hardship faced by the people because of the drastic increase in fuel price. He also announced that the state government would go ahead with the Penang Bridge Marathon in October, after the Hari Raya celebration.
On the proposed second bridge project, Lim said the state was of the opinion that the project should continue although the estimated cost increased from RM2.7bil to RM4.3bil.
Lim added that the construction of the second bridge was scheduled to be completed by 2011 and work on the pre cast beams was already 50% completed.