Ex-aide: Khalid did not give me a chance to explain

SHAH ALAM: Mohd Yahya Mat Sahri, the aide suspended by Selangor Mentri Besar Tan Sri Khalid Ibrahim, has resigned from the position as well as that of Selangor PKR secretary.

Mohd Yahya, suspended on Monday for allegedly improperly facilitating the approval of cleaning and garbage collection contracts in Petaling Jaya, is also being investigated by the Anti-Corruption Agency.

“There is no call for the Mentri Besar to suspend me because it makes me look guilty in the eyes of the public. It is only an allegation at this stage,” he said yesterday.

“The allegation is being investigated by the ACA. If any wrongdoing is found, the agency can charge me.”

He said he had informed PKR president Datin Seri Dr Wan Azizah Wan Ismail on Monday of his intention to quit the posts.

Mohd Yahya said he was upset Khalid had not called to speak to him on the allegation, denying him the chance to tell his side of the story.

“I did my part by providing a complete report on the matter, but despite us having worked so closely he did not call me to give me a chance to explain the matter,” he said.

Mohd Yahya called for Khalid to step down as state party chairman but would not state his reasons for doing so.

In a press statement yesterday, Khalid said the decision to suspend Mohd Yahya was to allow a fair and detailed investigation into the allegation made against the former aide.

He said this was necessary to ensure the state government remained responsible and transparent.

“However the officer faxed a letter to the Mentri Besar’s office yesterday (Monday) stating that he was resigning from his post,” Khalid said in the statement.

He said the investigation would continue even after Mohd Yahya’s resignation as it was important to ensure the integrity of the Mentri Besar’s office was not marred.

“I want to reiterate that I view all matters concerning transparency and responsibility seriously. I will not hesitate to take action against any officer no matter how unpopular it may be at the party level,” he said.

Meanwhile, Selangor ACA director Jaafar Mahad said the investigation into Mohd Yahya’s case had been concluded.

“The file has been sent to the ACA’s prosecution division for further decision,” he added.

– The Star

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s