Anwar denies allegations, claims political frame-up

Anwar press statement below

KUALA LUMPUR, June 29 – Opposition leader Datuk Anwar Ibrahim early today denied allegations of sodomising a 23-year-old aide and claimed it was a political frame-up to prevent the removal of the ruling Barisan Nasional government.


Anwar Ibrahim denies sodomy allegations

“I believe we are witnessing a repeat of the methods used against me in 1998 when false allegations were made under duress,” Anwar said in a statement after his Parti Keadilan Rakyat (PKR) met to discuss the allegations.

Anwar’s aides called a for a press conference at 1am in a Shah Alam hotel which was surrounded by some 400 PKR members who promised to protect him from being arrested. Party leaders and his lawyer S.N. Nair distributed Anwar’s media statement.

“This is clearly a desperate attempt by the Barisan Nasional regime to arrest the movement of the Malaysian people towards freedom, democracy and justice,” said Anwar, who was sacked as deputy prime minister and finance minister in 1998 for abuse of power and sodomy.

Anwwar claimed the sodomy allegation was planned by vested interests avenging his evidence implicating Inspector General of Police Tan Sri Musa Hassan and Attorney General Tan Sri Abdul Gani Patail in the fabrication of evidence in the cases launched against him in 1998-1999.

“This vile attack will not prevent me from releasing this dossier to the public,” Anwar said, urging “the Malaysian people to stand against the repressive forces that will be unleashed by the government in the coming days and weeks”.

Anwar, who was sentenced in 1999 to six years in jail for corruption and in 2000 to another nine years for homosexual acts, was released in 2004 by the Federal Court which reversed the second conviction, had always claimed the charges then were politically motivated.

Bouncing back in Malaysian politics this year to lead the opposition to 82 seats in the recent elections, Anwar alluded to the changes by saying “My fellow Malaysians – we took a bold step forward on March 8th towards a new dawn for freedom and justice for all of our citizens. This people’s movement for change must go on with all of our strength and conviction.”

Veteran Opposition leader Lim Kit Siang wrote in his blog that he had contacted Anwar about the allegations. “I have spoken to Anwar over the phone and he is expecting the worst,” Lim said.

The Malaysian Insider reported earlier that a major political storm is brewing after an aide to a prominent Opposition leader lodged a police report at the Bukit Travers police station alleging that he was sodomised by the PKR politician several days ago. Opposition leaders said Anwar had claimed the aide has been missing for two days.

KL police chief Muhammad Sabtu Osman confirmed that the report had been made and it is learnt that the complainant has been sent to the Hospital Kuala Lumpur for a medical examination.

“Yes, we have received a police report from an aide of Anwar Ibrahim that he was sodomised. But no, we will not arrest Anwar at the moment,” Deputy IGP Tan Sri Ismail Omar said when contacted by news agencies.

It was learnt that PKR leaders were huddled in a meeting last night with several party officials believing that the aide was coerced into lodging the police report and say that it is the beginning of a campaign by the Barisan Nasional government to discredit the PKR and the Opposition.

They note that a similar tactic was used in 1998 when the then Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad accused his deputy Anwar of sodomy and sacked him from government and Umno.

ANWAR PRESS STATEMENT
June 29, 2008, Shah Alam

THE police report lodged against me earlier today is a complete fabrication. I believe we are witnessing a repeat of the methods used against me in 1998 when false allegations were made under duress. This is clearly a desperate attempt by the Barisan Nasional regime to arrest the movement of the Malaysian people towards freedom, democracy and justice.

The report has been organised by interested parties to attack me in retaliation for evidence I have recently obtained implicating IGP Musa Hassan and the AG Gani Patail in misconduct including fabrication of evidence in the cases launched against me in 1998-1999. This vile attack will not prevent me from releasing this dossier to the public.

I urge the Malaysian people to stand against the repressive forces that will be unleashed by the government in the coming days and weeks. We expect the media, the judiciary and the police force to all come under the direct and unchecked control of the executive.

My fellow Malaysians – we took a bold step forward on March 8th towards a new dawn for freedom and justice for all of our citizens. This people’s movement for change must go on with all of our strength and conviction.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s