By : Lee Shi-Ian , NST
KUALA LUMPUR: Supporters of Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim have been warned not to resort to street demonstrations to pressure police into stopping investigations into the latest sodomy allegation against him.
Issuing the warning, Federal CID director Datuk Mohd Bakri Zinin said police would crack down on any demonstrators.
“Don’t try to pressure us by organising illegal rallies or gatherings. We will not hesitate to take action as provided under the law.”
He also warned Anwar’s supporters not to assume that police had an agenda in this case.
“We are only interested in the facts. Action will be taken against those who threaten national security by spreading false text messages and rumours,” he said at the city police headquarters in Jalan Hang Tuah here yesterday.
“Investigations have just begun, so give us time to carry out the probe. Do not turn the issue into a trial by the media,” he said in response to the allegations levelled by Anwar’s 23-year-old aide.
The aide, who started working for Anwar after the March 8 elections, lodged a police report at the beat base at the Kuala Lumpur Hospital on Saturday at 5.45pm.
The aide wrote the report himself. Asked whether the complainant was being warded at the hospital, Bakri declined to comment.
“At present, we are treating the claims as allegations or hearsay. We have to find out the truth before deciding on the next course of action,” Bakri replied when asked how the case had been classified.
“We must ensure that justice is served for the victim and the alleged offender. I do not want to comment on the victim.”
Police will also examine the statements made by, for instance, Anwar yesterday morning in response to the sodomy allegation.
“The investigations will be just, fair and above board. But please give us time to conduct the probe.”
On reported death threats against Anwar, Bakri said so far, no police report had been lodged.