KUALA LUMPUR, June 30 — About 10 non-governmental organisations (NGOs) went to Parliament today in a show of solidarity against the alleged government conspiracy against de facto Pakatan Rakyat leader Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim.
The NGO members being allowed into the Parliament grounds after initially being stopped at the gates. — Picture by Choo Choy May
The group, which included Tenaganita, Suaram, Hindraf and Komas, said it did not believe in the sodomy charges against Anwar and condemned the death threats made against him.
Suaram executive director Yap Swee Seng called on the government to guarantee Anwar’s safety. But some of the other NGOs seemed to think that more drastic measures were needed.
“We do not believe this absurd allegation against him. We do not care for any investigation into this allegation. We scoff at this,” said an impassioned Hindraf spokesman N. Surendran.
“If injustice is done to Anwar … there will be peaceful demonstrations. Hindraf will take part. BN is trying to rob all Malaysians of their birthright,” he added.
Komas director Jerald Joseph said: “If the March 8 general election was not enough, the people will rise again. We need a total change of federal government.”
The group of about 50 people had earlier faced problems getting inside the Parliament compound. Parliament guards stopped them outside the gates and denied them entry until several Pakatan Rakyat MPs went outside to bring them in.